Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, and a Year of Halfs might too!


With 9 races down and 5 to go I think it's time to touch on the dark and painful side of our journey. Although running has impacted our lives in more positive ways than we can count... It's not all sunshine and rainbows!

Before Oakville Nutrience Half, Race #9, I was having some pulling on the inside of my knee. After an evaluation this turned out to be pulling caused my excessive IT band tightness, and was putting me at risk of tearing my meniscus. I was told to be cautious, rest, ice, tape, and foam roll as much as humanly possible.

After a week of this routine I had made exceptional progress but expected this to cause me some grief during the next race. Although the pain was minimal during the Oakville race, the pulling came on strong around 12km. I was concerned about the possibility of tearing my meniscus, and took some time out of the race to have Melissa try to loosen up the IT band (with her elbow...Ouch!). We still finished in good spirits with a time of 2:22.

I saw my miracle worker today, Dr. Sapna Sriram, a Chiropractor at Emkiro Clinic in Toronto. Today she did some extensive acupuncture in my hip, IT band, and knee; then followed that up with some Active Release Therapy and a stripping of my IT. It was far from pleasant but with some Advil, Ice, and continuous foam rolling I should be back on track. 

Over the past 8 months Dr. Sapna has effectively been able to minimize the wear and tear caused by our continuous racing with a combination of Acupuncture, ART, Chiropractics, and strengthening exercises. She has also managed to alleviate some chronic ankle and hip pain that I have struggled with for years... She must be an angel! If you live in Toronto and struggle with a chronic injury she's definitely the best around.

http://www.drsapna.com/

The moral of this story is that injuries are inevitable UNLESS you take the time to balance your training schedule with running, strength training, stretching, and recovery. It also doesn't hurt to have a superstar on your team like Dr. Sapna. Take care of your body you only have one!

Until next time :)

- Kaitlin 


No comments:

Post a Comment