Monday, January 27, 2014

One Down, 12 to go!


Well, it's been 1 week since our first half marathon, and 2 weeks until our next. 

After 21.1km of snowy, slippery, pot holed trails at the HYPO 1/2, my body was left feeling a bit sore; to say the least.

My muscles were more sore than usual, from the uneven surfaces and slipperiness of the tunnels.  I also experienced a bit of superficial frost bite on my face and legs. One thing that I didn't predict, was how sore my toes would be. 

In hindsight, I would have purchased, and practiced in a pair of yak-tracks (or similar product). I didnt think it was a good idea to try them out for the first time on race day, so we powered through the snow an ice without them!

Despite the challenging experience of the past race, both of us got back out on the roads this week to keep up with our training. Our races are 2 to 4 weeks apart so it's important to stay on schedule. With 28 kms spread out over this week including a slow and steady 15km run on Sunday, this will be our heavest week before tapering for race day. We are right on track and feeling good! Lets hope we can keep it up.

Our next race is the Winterman 1/2 at Ottawa's Winterlude Festival on Febuary 16th. We will provide an update with more details closer to race day.

Until next time,

Melissa and Kaitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment